Diabetes is a lifelong treatable yet deadly disease if it’s not treated quickly and correctly; the condition is a case in which the body either can’t produce or properly use the insulin produced in the Pancreas. Insulin is an essential substance created in our bodies as it helps to carefully regulate the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood to ensure that the body functions appropriately. A high amount of sugar within the blood can result in organ failure or damage to our nerve or blood vessels.
Symptoms of Diabetes
- Blurred vision
- Darkened skin (armpits and neck). This condition often indicates insulin resistance.
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fatigue (feeling tired or lethargic), irritability, and anger
- Frequent or recurring infections
- Frequent urination
- Fruity-smelling breath: This can be a warning sign of diabetic ketoacidosis. In this condition, ketones build up in the blood, mainly affecting type 1 diabetes and requiring prompt medical attention.
- Increased thirst
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- Slow-healing cuts and bruises
- Unexplained weight loss
Types of Diabetes
- Gestational diabetes- occurs during pregnancy and puts both mother and child at risk of developing diabetes later.
- Prediabetes – blood sugar levels are higher than usual but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes.
- Type 1 – This is a condition in which a person cannot produce or regulate insulin because the body is attacking the Pancreas (insulin-dependent diabetes, also known as autoimmune)
- Type 2 – This is a condition in which a person cannot regulate the insulin produced by their body.
People should treat a condition like this with a high level of care, so Home Health Companions provides a way for clients to be given the help they need to reduce the chances of it becoming deadly. With diabetes, you have to ensure you eat on time, seek the physician’s help once you have an open wound, and maintain a healthy diet.
What we offer at Home Health Companions is:
- Wound care
- Medication management
- In-home help
- Meal preps
- Wellness checks